home tutorials features parties custom orders

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Surprise! Pattern Tour for Sew Like My Mom + New Pattern Sneak Peek

Blogging and sewing have blessed me with an amazing gift of friendship and community.  Honestly, I've never experienced anything quite like it.  Today, a group of friends (myself included) decided to throw Sew Like My Mom a Surprise Pattern Tour because we think she (and her patterns) are pretty awesome!



I had a conflict with the actual posting date for the Surprise Pattern Tour, so my new Sew Like My Mom look is being shared a couple of days late.  If you click the sewVery link in the pattern tour list above, it will show you one of the previous Sew Like My Mom creations that I've made--the Darling Daisy top.  I've also sewn up the Busy Lizzy Dress, and after seeing some of the short sleeved and sleeveless versions my friends have made as part of the tour, I now need to make Ella one, too!

Today, I'm showing you the new Darling Daisy top I made Ella and an exclusive sneak peek at Melissa's soon-to-be-released Oakley Shorts & Capris pattern (she is just now releasing it to testers).




Melissa's Darling Daisy pattern is a quick-to-sew project and offers you multiple looks just by simply adding another layer to the skirt.  There is only one pattern piece to print for the bodice and the cutting dimensions for the skirt sections are shown in tabular form.

For this look, I made a top using the bodice and the first tier fabric requirements.  For Ella's size 6, it took roughly a yard of fabric total.   I used two fun prints, Alexander Henry Kewende in Lime and Art Gallery Studios Safari Moon in Forest Leaves Raspberry, both purchased at The Fabric Studio earlier this week.


I've yet to make a dress because my daughter loves the tops so much, but I think I'll make a dress next time all in one print like Andrea did!  This is such a comfortable design and is great for playing outside on warm summer days.

Now you get the exclusive sneak peak at Sew Like My Mom's latest pattern in development--the Oakley Shorts & Capris for both girls and boys!  Besides Melissa, I'm the only person who has tried this pattern out, and I must admit that I'm very impressed!


I sewed together a size 6 pair of girl's capris using some mocha colored chambray fabric I purchased from LowPriceFabric.com.  It's a heavier weight chambray than I'm used to, but it worked perfectly for these capris.


The Oakley Capris have lots of details:  faux fly, welt pockets in the back, in-seam pockets for the front, elastic waist, and keyhole cutout and ties at the leg opening.


Melissa's patterns all give great written instructions and show excellent details in the tutorial photos. She even taught me two new sewing methods in this one pattern!  1. She shows you how to make a welt pocket and 2. She shows an interesting technique for sewing on the waistband that I plan to use from now on!


These capris will be great for Spring, and if they survive the Summer, Ella will get to wear them to kindergarten in the Fall!  I'm already planning to make her the shorts version in denim and maybe even make my son a pair (if he promises me he will wear them)!

I hope you enjoyed the surprise party!  If you haven't tried one of Sew Like My Mom's patterns yet, this week is a great time to do so!  Since Melissa discovered our surprise and was so overwhelmed by our gesture, she has decided to donate half of all pattern sales this week to The Young and the Brave Foundation.  You can read all about her reaction to the surprise party HERE.

If you love the look of the Oakley Shorts & Capris, then keep on eye out for the release of Sew Like My Mom's latest pattern in the coming days.


UPDATE!
The Oakley Shorts & Capri pdf pattern is now available for purchase in Sew Like My Mom's Etsy shop!  Click HERE to purchase it!

Have fun sewing!

8 comments:

  1. That outfit is adorable! Love the capris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These capris are darling. I love the welt pockets and the keyhole at the hemline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The welt pockets make the capris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love everything you make for Ella, Veronica! I am storing up the ideas to use for Oona when she is a little bigger. Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable outfit! Love those bright prints :)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I love reading what you think about my post!